The very first thing you will need to do on the day of your Driver’s License Test is a Pre-Trip Inspection on your vehicle.
Here are a few tips to help you and get full points.
Pre-Trip Inspection exterior
- There are no obstructions or leakages under the vehicle. (Mention on approach of vehicle starting on the driver side moving in an anti-clockwise direction)
- The right side mirror is clean and secure.
- The windscreen is clean, has no damage and the wipers are not worn.
- The right front tire tread, sidewall and pressure is correct. The valve cap is on and there are no oil or grease leaks.
- The lenses and reflectors are clean, secure and undamaged.
- The bonnet, grill, bumper and number plate is clean and secure.
- The oil water and brake fluid levels are correct and the fan belt is in good working condition.
- The left side wheel has been checked as on the right front.
- The license disc is valid.
- The left side mirror has been checked as on the right.
- The left side doors, window winders and seatbelts operate correctly and is in good working condition.
- The left rear wheel has been checked as the right front.
- The fuel cap is secure and locked.
- The rear window, lenses and reflectors has been checked as the front.
- The number plate, bumper and exhaust is secure and in good condition.
- The spare wheel, jack and wheel spanner has been checked.
- The right rear wheel has been checked as on the right front.
- The right side doors, window winders and seatbelts have been checked as on the left.
Pre-Trip Inspection interior
Turn the key to the on position. The examiner will ask you to get into the vehicle and check the operation of the following: Front and rear lights, indicators, wipers and signalling the horn. Ensure that your vehicle is roadworthy before going for your test.
- The doors are closed.
- The park brake is on. (The park brake must not make a ratchet sound)
- The gear is in neutral.
- There are no obstructions.
- The seat is adjusted for the correct driving position. (Depress the clutch completely using your left foot only – also to ensure that your seat is adjusted correctly)
- The mirrors are adjusted for maximum rear view vision. (Adjust only whilst vehicle is stationary)